Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone have the real skinny on setting up Conexant v.92 modems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepper

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
I've been playing around with this for some time and I would like a plain, step-by-step to get this external serial (RS-232) v.92 modem hitting on all eight cylinders. I have the latest .INFs, .DLLs and .VXDs as well as the latest version of NetWaiting for MOH and firmware. The modem works just find on v.90 connections. But I don't know if it's really doing v.92 when connected to a v.92 PoP or not.
. Among other things I would like to know what to do with mohser.vxd. I've been told that it should be used to replace serial.vxd to run the COM: ports, but when I do that by renaming the files, then NW won't run...
. And when I have the old serial.vxd back in place and run NW, then my web surfing is very impeded.
. I've been to v92.com and modemsite.com etc. Come away empty handed. As long as v.92 has been around you'd think they would have this written down by now. TIA.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Well, I have found that the new version of NetWaiting does load mohser.vxd, so it has to be loaded prior to dialing out. But when I do use NW, it makes my web surfing impossible - always getting time-outs and failure to find url messages. If I just exit NW, then everything is fine... Hellllp!
.bh.

Note: Well, I guess it's working now. I'm not sure what the magic combo is but I think you have to use W0 in your init string so that the modem reports DTE (CPU to modem speed) rather than DCE (modem to modem speed)- I was using W2 as I like to know my actual connect speed. And load NW before you ever try to dial out - so I guess I'll put NW in the Startup folder.
. I don't know yet if the mojo will hold over a disconnect and reconnect, but everything is working happily together right now. I will add other notes here as I get more experience with v.92.
. Thanks to anyone who looked.
.bh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back