Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone have experience with SkillSoft online training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekkieDave

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
****This is cross posted in the "My own development as a professional" forum. I hope that's not breaking any rules***

Here's my situation:

I've been doing desktop / server / network support as a one man shop for the past 6-7 years. I'm looking to get some certifications under my belt - partly just to pad my resume, partly to boost my self confidence. I always worry that I'm getting soft, since I've been in a comfortable position for a number of years.

So anyway, I recently got a call from a salesman looking to sell me SkillSoft's ( online training services for pretty cheap.

Has anyone used this kind of thing before? I know everyone learns different...but I'd like to see if anyone had any experience with this kind of thing.

I'm looking to certify in Microsoft products

I haven't used Skillsoft before so I can't comment on their products. For MS certification I always a recommend the following combination of materials;

Trainsignal videos -
The MS Press book for the exam you are studying for;

Use VMWare or Virtual PC and follow the exercises in the book and/or the trainsignal videos..

The use of measureup tests to familiarise yourself with the types of questions you will see on the actual exam

Paul
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

I've used skillsoft, mostly for basic and advanced access courses and quite a few unix admin ones. To be honest, if you're really interested in the subject matter, skillsoft will be ok. If your boss is forcing you to do a skillsoft course, bring a blanket, pillow, prozac and a good book!!!

And be prepared to go over the course twice.

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back