Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone have any experience using ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownjd

MIS
Oct 5, 2001
US
Anyone have any experience using execute immediate? I'm trying to use a procedure to rebuild indexes. Problem is the indexes are SAP flavor with the ~ symbol in them which is giving oracle fits. I've been able to hide the symbol in a normal sqlplus prompt with " ( double quotes ) around the index name, however, execute immediate is not recognizing the index name and not working. The following is what I'm using to no avail.

Execute immediate analyze index ' || owner ||
'."' ||
segment_name ||
'" validate structure'
with owner and segment_name coming from dba_segments.

Thanks in advance

I don't know if this one can help but, I think you miss a single quote (at the beginning of analyze) in your statement.

Execute immediate 'analyze index ' ||
owner ||
'."' ||
segment_name ||
'" validate structure'
Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

Thanks...Actually, I granted analyze any to the user executing the procedure and that cured it. Even tho the user had DBA privileges the grant was necessary. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back