Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone have advice with permissions error on local NAS access from Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
[banghead][bugeyed][curse]
The emoticons say it all.
I'm working with a client who has an all Windows 10 network with a new Seagate NAS (os 4) and a single Mac running high sierra. When ever the Mac opens a file on the NAS and then closes it NO windows 10 users have permissions any longer to access that file. Admitting that I am not a strong Mac person I've researched and checked about anything I can to no avail.
What magic might I be missing that is allowing this to happen and does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy this situation? I have been fighting this issue for 5 months now and Seagate and Apple are zero help.

Anyone???? [ponder]

I'm wondering if the problem is that the Mac is changing the file thus not allowing Windows to open it vs. an actual permissions issue. To test, can you COPY the file from the NAS to the Windows PC after a Mac has opened a file?

Any error messages given when you try to open the file?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem trying that is that the PC's DO NOT have access other than seeing them. They cannot read including move, delete or literally anything. And this is in the Public folder. Not that it matters but the NAS is a Seagate NAS 2-Bay with the latest NAS OS 4. Also, the PC's are not setup for sharing so the Mac cannot move the file to them either.

So wait. Originally, you set the rights so the Windows PC could open the files in a given folder. Correct?
Then a Mac opens the file and then the PCs no longer have rights to do what they could do before?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Absolutely correct. Here's a typical scenario:

File come from out side vendor. Its a compressed file made by Stuffit. User with PC downloads it and uses a PC version of stuffit to decompress it and store it on the NAS in the Public space. PC users can open it (its an adobe illustrator file). It requires editing and the illustrator program is resident on the Mac. User then opens it on the Mac, makes changes and saves it over itself. Everything normal, right?
From that moment on all PC users, when attempting to access file, receive Windows error message You do not have permission to perform requested function.

I've checked permissions and defaults as best I know how on Mac system and still no access.

Confusing? Goes against all the inherited rules I've learned. Hopefully you or someone can figure out what might be causing this?

Thanks

Sounds like the Mac may not be releasing the file handle. It could be 'Illustrator' or even the Mac's 'Finder' app. As a test, quit both 'Illustrator' and 'Finder' after the file save and see if the Win PC's stop getting the 'permission denied' issue.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back