Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone got onboard RAID working on Asus M4A79T Deluxe Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deekydoo

MIS
Jun 21, 2004
GB
Just spent the last few weeks attempting to use the onboard RAID system on the subject mobo. It's a brand new board and I think I have exhausted all the sata port combinations to get it going.

I've tried a couple of different XP pro systems and also tried the originally supplied RAID driver and the latest driver. All with no success.

Previously I have set up RAID systems on other mobos so I am sure that I am loading stuff correctly.

Has anyone else come across this board?

Config is:

Asus M4A79T Deluxe mobo
AMD phenom II cpu
Kingston 128G SSD for OS and programs
2 x 120G sata for data and use as RAID 0 pair
4G DDR3 ram
(all new kit)

Thanks

Deek

It sounds like that Mobo has some specific problems with RAID drivers. Try checking this forum out:

At the bottom of the thread, a user named Retired_MSgt gives a VERY detailed walk through of what HE had to do.

Also, since you're having to troubleshoot anyway, I'd suggest giving Windows 7 a shot on this. Just "try it" without buying until you find you do like it enough to buy. It's a great OS, and generally speaking, I've seen it recognize hardware and drivers MUCH better than XP or Vista.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

By the way, for future reference, this type question would fit more in the following forum:
forum602

The reason is that a motherboard is not a peripheral. Either that, or you could go for the hard drives forum, since RAID is dealing with hard drives:
forum751

Otherwise, the next best choice would probably be the Windows forum that most closely represents the version you are using or trying to use.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I finally got it working!

Downloaded the latest BIOS. That allowed me to set the first 4 sata ports to RAID and the last 2 to IDE. Connected my SSD OS drive into SATA port 5 and was able to boot the OS. Then XP detected the RAID controller and I loaded the driver (again). THe RAID 0 pair were then recognised and I initialised that RAID drive for use.

I still have to see if SATA ports 3 and 4 can be used as they are set to RAID(BIOS forces the first 4 to RAID option).

Sorry abot posting MoBo problems in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back