Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone familiar with Brother Driver Deployment Wizard Utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
One of my tasks in installing various printer drivers (Brother & HP) onto many, many, many laptops, all with Win7 Pro. However, some of them are 64 bit machines, the others 32 bit machines. It is quite tedious installing the brother drivers for the various wireless printers manually one by one on each machine. I've tried generating a self-installable .exe generated by the Brother wizard but I've run into problems. One of which is generating on a 64 bit machine and trying to execute/install on a 32 bit machine.
Has anyone who is familiar with this utility been able to determine if it can create either flavor? or MUST it be run on separate (32/64 bit) machines?

And while we're at his, has anyone tried to generate an installable .exe for an HP printer with this utility?

Thanks all -

[ponder]

I have zero experience with the Brother driver deployment tools.

I'm wondering, however, if there's a PC equivalent to the iPhone and Android printer driver from Brother, called "iPrint and Scan", which is able to find, connect to, and use, any Brother wireless printer (okay, two) on any wifi network (okay, two), with a minimum of bother. I was amazed and pleased with how well it works.

As for HP, I'm amazed that any single company could produce so many mutually incompatible printers, and manage to support all of them and stay in business, but they do, so far. I've tried an assortment of different Linuces, none of which seem to natively support my two different HP printers, but the non-native "hplip" drivers always, eventually, install and work.

Hi Mike,
I've been experimenting with the BDD tool and even queried Brother's tech support. Their response was as expected (not really any help). But it appears that 32 bit must be generated on 32 bit systems and 64, likewise. Also, if its not a Brother printer don't even try.

As far as HP drivers go... big sigh. I spent several hours today trying to install wireless printers on several Dell laptops. I had the HP driver file(s) on a USB drive which made finding the drivers easier. All in all though, not an automatic task as one would hope.

Happy holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back