Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone ever heard of system32WindowsHash.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spydermonkey

Programmer
May 24, 2004
US
system32WindowsHash.exe

A few weeks ago this popped into my process during CTRL+ALT+DEL. I keep killing it but every time I logout or reboot the dang thing comes back. I have no idea what it is and I searched this on Google, AskJeeves and Altavista and ZERO results.

Today I got sick of it and did a filesearch to see where this little puppy was staying.

It's found in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\Prefetch

Can anyone tell me anything about this? Is it good? Bad? Needed? Can I get rid of it? Do YOU have it?

Thanks!

The file is probably not residing in the PreFetch folder, what you are most likely seeing is a link to start it.
It is also unlikely any link from the PreFetch would remain in the process list of Task Manager. It is quite safe to delete every entry in the PreFetch folder. Windows will just recreate them as you launch programs.

More information here on the Prefetch Folder in Windows XP

When searching for this file make sure your search preference options are checking hidden files. Also make sure you are able to view both hidden and system files via Control Panel/ Folder Options/ View.

Your solution will be along the lines here.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Programs like Hi-jack This will help you explore the Startup folders and the Run Keys in the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back