Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone else seeing lots of bugs and just non-working stuff in IE-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I have been trying IE-9 for a few months, and it seemed like nothing worked--graphs that worked fine in ie8 were blank, text was superimposed on other text, etc. So I just ran the latest update to version 9.0.8080.16413. A few things started working--but many other things stopped--simple things like certain buttons on some sites just don't work, checkboxes won't check, and there are still various odd visual issues. All of the above works Chrome and ie8.

So bottom line, does anyone here see similar things? I've googled and there's always going to be hits on browser issues--especially with the general public--so I'm just wondering in this forum, with a more technical bent, if there's a consensus that MS needs to go back to the drawing board.
Thanks,
--Jim

>does anyone here see similar things?

Nope, afraid not. Not in the two beta releases I used, nor in the release candidate. Biggest problem I encountered was that after some time browsing graphics-heavy websites (e.g news sites) IE9 would decide not to show the graphics any more until it was completely restarted, just left white space. This has been reported by a fair number of us in the feedback program (and, worryingly, remains a problem with the release candidate). If you didn't join the feedback program then you should - it allows you to report your experiences and bugs to Microsoft, see what other people are experiencing, and see what fixes are in the pipeline (and which 'bugs' are features)

Oh, one other problem I had was that sometimes graphics were slightly displaced; this seems to have been fixed in the release candidate

strongm
Thanks, thats interesting to hear. I tried to join the feedback program in it would never let me--said "the given ID does not have permissions..." I went through the entire signup program without error and it said everything was fine but I still got that message.
Thanks,
--Jim

This *could* be the sites incorrectly detecting the browesr and doing something odd like rendering for ie6.
Post a couple of sites and see if other have the same issue.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Sympology,
I don't know if it's just me...but almost *every* time I go on IMDB.com and go to either a specific movie or specific actor photos (ie, not just the home page) IE9 crashes. The error comes up *every* time. It gives the dialog box "Close, reopen, debug" or something. Sometimes it just automatically restored the tab. But it's every time. Also Huffington Post, usually when a Flash or pics are there.

What's frustrating is that *any* browser can do text/html only. The whole purpose if IE9 is to seamlessly do pics, flash, video, etc. And in my opinion (and I'm not trying to bash I'm just offering my personal opinon)--it's been, so far, a total failure at the exact thing it intended to do.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back