Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone? CallPilot 201i remote access using a USR Courier

Status
Not open for further replies.

TudorAdrian

Technical User
Apr 9, 2011
RO
Hello there and a Happy New Year to all,

I'm currently looking at setting up remote access for a Nortel Opt11 which has a CallPilot 201i.

Due to various reasons I can only deploy US Robotics Courier modems at the site but will need to log in remotely for support cases (both PBX and CallPliot basic admin stuff).

This is no problem for the PBX but I am a little bugged by the CallPilot. I'm aware that normally, one could use a sort of data tracker modem which allows PPP over PSTN but as mentioned above this is not an option for this scenario.

My question is: Would there be any way of deploying a Courier modem for the CallPilot at the remote site, dial the modem and be able to do basic admin work on the CallPilot through a web browser remotely? If YES, then how should I proceed? Would I need to install the Courier drivers on the CallPilot or install any other app that would allow PPP over PSTN?

Of course, if the above would prove a viable solution I would need to go for some kind of RJ-45 to Serial cable to connect the CallPilot to the Courier but that's getting ahead of myself for now.

I've been going through a similar thread (thread798-1525496)but i'm not fully enlightened so that's why i'm writing this.

Thanks gents (and ladies if any reply or read :D ).

Kind regards,

Tudor

Hi there,

Thank you for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

Yeah, I know about these kind of boxes - we've been using something similar from DataTrack but it's just the USR Couriers I'm able/allowed to use due to security policies.

Kind regards,

Tudor

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back.

Nope. There's the line, phone and 25-pin serial port.

As per what was posted in some threads I was reading, it would seem that by installing RRAS on the CallPilot Windows Server, one could have the CallPilot manage the PPP connection instead of the modem.

Problem is this is only a hunch at the moment.

I'll keep on searching but would really appreciate any feedback i could get from you vets.

Kind regards,

Tudor

CallPilots depending on software release come equipped from Nortel with PCAywhere on them. Then you use PCAnywhere on your PC to dial into the Server and setup a remote connection. Then you can open a browser and do your admin. WARNING this is very slow but all you can do unless you have a LAN connection and use remote desktop to get in.

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

Good day/morning,

Thanks for this.

So this would in fact work if I have pcAnywhere installed on my remote admin PC & CallPilot and use 2 USR 56k Couriers at both ends. I guess pcAnywhere on the CallPilot will be handling the PPP side of things (assign an IP to my admin PC so that I can access CallPilot Manager through the browser).

I can only use a phone line to connect to the remote site so any sort of PPPoE or VPN is not an option... this might be slow but it's what I have to work with.

Kind Regards,

Tudor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back