Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone build rpm packages in AIX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exsnafu

Technical User
Apr 25, 2008
US
ok, I must be doing something really stupid here but for the life of me I cannot figure this out and haven't been able to find any mailing lists/forums that pertain to rpm.

I'm in the process of attempting to install a new version of curl because after an openssl update the old RPM fails with libssl/libcrypto linker issues. i'd like an rpm for distribution to many servers.

I download the curl source which comes with its own nice AIX specific spec file that I copy into /opt/freeware/src/packages/SPECS/ and then perform an rpm -vv -bb curl.spec

it goes through the prep, the build and the install. the curl binaries/docs etc are all installed into /var/opt/freeware/ as it should and then the package build stage executes, it lists the files, what provides and what requires for each package, returns exit 0 for each step package(curl and curl-devel) and then exits with a return code of 1 but nothing in the verbose output to indicate a reason?

fantastic!

no rpm package is in /opt/freeware/src/packages/RPMS/

now, I thought this may be just something with the curl spec but in fact I've tried with cups since I had a spec file for that sitting around and the exact same thing, gets 100% through(near as I can tell) and then bails out with an inexplicable return code of 1 and fails to actually put a package out there.

am I missing some critical little step?

the last few lines of rpm -vv -bb curl.spec:

Processing files: curl-devel-7.18.2-1ssl
D: File 0: 0100755 root.root /opt/freeware/bin/curl-config
File not found by glob: /var/opt/freeware/tmp/curl-7.18.2-root/opt/freeware/man/man1/curl-config.1*
File not found by glob: /var/opt/freeware/tmp/curl-7.18.2-root/opt/freeware/man/man3/*
D: File 1: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/curl.h
D: File 2: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/curlver.h
D: File 3: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/easy.h
D: File 4: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/mprintf.h
D: File 5: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/multi.h
D: File 6: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/stdcheaders.h
D: File 7: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/typecheck-gcc.h
D: File 8: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/include/curl/types.h
D: File 9: 0100755 root.root /opt/freeware/lib/libcurl.la
D: File 10: 0120777 root.root /usr/bin/curl-config
D: File 11: 0120777 root.root /usr/include/curl
Executing(%doc): /bin/sh -e /var/opt/freeware/tmp/rpm-tmp.26523
+ umask 022
+ cd /opt/freeware/src/packages/BUILD
+ cd curl-7.18.2
+ DOCDIR=/var/opt/freeware/tmp/curl-7.18.2-root/opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2
+ export DOCDIR
+ rm -rf /var/opt/freeware/tmp/curl-7.18.2-root/opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2
+ /usr/bin/mkdir -p /var/opt/freeware/tmp/curl-7.18.2-root/opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2
+ cp -pr docs/BINDINGS docs/INTERNALS docs/LICENSE-MIXING /var/opt/freeware/tmp/curl-7.18.2-root/opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2
+ exit 0
D: File 12: 0240755 root.root /opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2
D: File 13: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2/BINDINGS
D: File 14: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2/INTERNALS
D: File 15: 0100644 root.root /opt/freeware/doc/curl-devel-7.18.2/LICENSE-MIXING
Provides: curl-devel
Requires: openssl >= 0.9.5 curl = 7.18.2
[root@:/opt/freeware/src/packages/SPECS]: echo $?

nevermind, I just wasn't looking hard enough and once I fixed 3 of the "file not found" errors that it threw looking for man pages it went cleanly.

Glad your efforts lived up to your name exsnafu! Thanks for posting back.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back