Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody using C2GXOR encryption component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckD

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
GB
Hi all

I'm using a free encryption component by (web site seems to be down today) called C2GXOR. It's always worked fine in the past but I'm tearing my hair out with it at the moment. I'm trying to encrypt and decrypt credit card numbers but sometimes, once a number is encrypted, when I then decrypt it, it removes the last number.

It seems to be dependant on what password I give it, but changing the password isn't reliable as, although it works fine for the problematic credit card number, after changing the password it then removes the last digit on a different credit card number which previously (with the first password) was not a problem.

Anyone got any ideas, or perhaps more reliable encryption components (probably have to be free or REALLY cheap though as boss doesn't understand why we need to encrypt the credit card numbers [evil] )

Thanks in advance,
Beck

Why not write your own? MS has a bunch of examples of writing encryption routines using built-in components in .Net. I remember building one based on their code in last then half a day.

-T

barcode_1.gif

Unfortunately I'm not using .Net, just good ole classic ASP.

Nothing is wrong with SSL, and I'm using that as well. The idea of encrypting the credit card numbers is that if someone got into the db or managed to hack the site with sql injection (I think I've put all the necessary precautions in place but you never know) then they wouldn't get anything worth looking at. All SSL will do is encrypt the data as it is parsed from client to server.

Thanks Chris, I will look at the 4guys encryption you linked to - could be the answer I'm looking for.

Cheers all,
Beck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back