Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody Using Barcoding With MACOLA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreypascone

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2001
US
We just purchased the Macola bar-coding module; it is at best OK offering limited out of the box functionality. I would be curious how people are using it?
We are also going to move to a wireless (batch) set-up. Macola reccomends using a third party to provide a conduit between the reader and their software. Has anybody used this or designed there own?

Jeffrey,
At one time I too wanted to use Bar Coding with Macola. But the more I thought about it and tried to figure out how Bar Coding would fit into the whole picture, I couldn't see the benefits of bar coding. I actually went out and bought a very good hand wand bar code reader from Worth Data. The best I was able to do with it was use a label program to print out Code39 bar codes for commonly used letters, numbers, and whole comments, and used that in the Inventory Transaction screen. Since then we've moved onto more sophisticated means of data entry, and so now the bar coder sits in the draw.

I have been a Macola consultant for 4 years and have NEVER seen a bar code site thats up and running.

I have one college that has, and in his words, there is really no payback UNLESS you are also in a lot-controlled or serial-controlled environment.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports, Goldmine and MS Office

Jeff, What is your bar coding application? I am familiar with several Macola users using Bar Coding successfully. Macola has 3 Bar Coding modules. One of which is Bar Coding for distribution, it was developed as middleware to exchange blocks of ACII data I/O that effects inventory transactions. If you told me what you're trying to accomplish, I'm sure I could refer you to a solution that has working references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back