Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody know how to add printer filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theramster

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am trying to use SYSTEM V printing onto an IBM network printer 17 (4317).

I am trying to use PCL commands to change to landscape and be able to switch bins.

I need to know how to add a filter to send the the PCL commands and what what the lp command would look like e.g parameters I would need to pass.

Any help appreciated.

I would start by using the hpnpIS.model script as it has most of the PCL commands and flags that you will need. See Section 4.2.2 in the Printint for Fun and Profit under AIX 5L. I'm still not sure I'd recommend the System V printing as the AIX print subsystem is more robust and has better performance.

Using this you should be able to use lp -o landscape.
You might also talk to IBM printing about supplying a System V interface script, but I don't know how much luck you'll have.

I also once wrote a backend for AIX printing that uses the lp flags just like system V printing and then calls an interface script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back