Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody having problem getting the "wheel" to work with win2k? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevozap

Programmer
Aug 19, 1999
US
I am having trouble getting the wheel (using a MS Intellipoint mouse) to work with win2k.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am using a laptop and I have disabled the internal pointing device, but the wheel still doesn't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I used to have win98 running on this laptop and the wheel worked then.&nbsp;&nbsp;Any advice beside going back to win98 (already heard that one)? <p>Steve Cohen<br><a href=mailto:stevo@zapdesigns.com>stevo@zapdesigns.com</a><br><a href= Designs</a><br>

No don't go back.<br>Laptops are in themselves troublesome with the Wheel on a mouse.<br>Contact the Manufaturer of the laptop<br>also you can call Microsoft<br>1-800-426-9400<br>Ask them for the support number for a Wheel mouse.<br><br><br>

I don't have a laptop situation, but I found this and many other helpful fixes at <br><br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> you have a PS/2 Wheel Mouse without special driver (IntelliPoint or 3rd party), and the wheel is not functional, it is probably not being detected. Browse to:<br>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters<br><br>Edit or Add Value name EnableWheelDetection, a type REG_DWORD, and set the data to 2.<br><br>Restart your computer.<br><br>&nbsp;Value&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;D e s c r i p t i o n&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't use the wheel.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Auto-detect the wheel.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Always enable the wheel.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><br><br><br><br>There were multiple fixes for mouse wheel recognition issues, so if that one doesn't work try another.<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back