Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody got an example sms deployment strategy? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalbir

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2001
GB
sms

SMS Deployment... First determine how many SMS servers will be needed in your environment and location of SMS server.

SMS Site Design is important. We have a single domain model. However, we have three primary building located in 3 different states connect via t1 links. I decided it would be best to have three SMS primary sites. One site would be at the top of the hierarchy and the other two points to the top one. Each site has an SQL server to hold the each site database (The top most site holds data from all three sites.) Sites should not span WAN links. So if you have WAN links, your probably better off having seperate sites. Also, you can configure SMS rules based on sites. For example, you can have a server site and a seperate client site. You can then specify that servers can be remote controlled without an ASK FOR PERMISSION dialog prompt...while in your client site you require an ASK FOR PERMISSION prompt.

Anyway..I was able to control the rollout of 3000 client systems through logon scripts. We use KIXTART as our logon scripting language. To control the rollout is better, I created a subnet check. In this way, I could push the client installation based on what subnet the end user belongs to. I was able to push the client out in a controlled manner..floor by floor.

As far as the client installation is concerned, I only ran into two problems. 1) make sure the Server Service on the NT 4.0 workstations are started. SMS needs this to install the client properly. 2) MAke sure all third party remote control software has been removed from the workstation before attemping to install SMS. We had LANDESK in our environment before SMS. I found that the SMS remote control agent would not get installed if LANDESK remote control was found on the client.

I don't know what else I can tell you...it's a very good product.

my deployment was quite a bit different.
I installed 1 primary site server (hosting the SMS DB) and have secondary sites based on all of my win2K Domain controllers which are spread out throughout the country. the secondary sites have boundaries and discovery based on the subnets that are within their LAN. that is to say, if I have a secondary site on a win2k DC in NYC, and I have a subnet on the same LAN in NYC, then the clients will become members of that NYC site.
then NYC will report back to the primary site server using a standard sender, but throttling the bandwidth during daytime hours.
client installation uses the canned smsls.bat script, but I use kixtart to check some variables before executing the smsls.bat. it checks for RAS connections, server logins (I dont want the SMS client on any servers) and group membership. if they are part of a SMS Installation group, it will kick off the client install. (it is very easy to tag a certain group of users in 2000 Active directory and join them to a group)

How should reporting be setup? If I only need one SMS Server for my environment, can Crystal Info be installed and work on that server (1000 nodes)? It doesn't seem to work with the eval copy. I also hear everyone talking about Web Reporting, is this a better alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back