Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody do ups repair? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb92

Technical User
Oct 8, 2008
US
I have a couple of ups with the fuses on the circuit board blown. I would think that as the battery dies, amps go up and take out the fuses. If I could get data sheets on the transformers, I could check them, but have been unable to find them with extensive internet search. The manufacturers aren't sharing any info. I need to contact someone who fixes these things and is willing to communicate with me.

Not sure who can help but we need more info. You've not mentioned what UPS you have. The fuses that go, are they actually the battery fuses?

The fuses are the two 30 amp battery fuses. The unit is a Powerware Personal 1000, about eight years old, but in perfect shape. I have new batteries, five six volters, the unit uses 30 volts. From what I've learned, the inverter is a likely suspect. Without a schematic, I'm at a disadvantage. I like the unit because there are no miniature devices on the board, everything is accessable. I'm using it as a learning device, tough as it is. I've checked caps, mosfets, had the transformers off for ringing,the problem is probably hiding in plain sight. If it's a dip, I'm doomed, can't find data sheets or anything on them. Of course, Powerware could care less. (Exide). From what I've learned about inverters, they have two alike caps, about .01 uf. This unit has two alike caps near the dc fuses, but they are about 8700 uf. I'm at a loss, need to find another book on electronics, the ones I have aren't helping. A reccommendation on a really good electronics book is probably what I need best. Any help appreciated.

Sorry it took so long to come back, I changed my email addy and so I didn't get the notification.
Anyways, as for the electronics book, if you mean a good one covering both basic and advanced principles, hows about;
Electrical Circuit Theory and Technology, by John Bird?

I'm not so sure that the battery is the problem for your UPS. As the battery goes the amps don't really go up unless the unit is actually in discharge. For that unit with only a 30V DC bus there would either be a booster stage in the middle of the power circuit or a transformer at the output and booster stage in the middle of the power circuit to get your 240VAC.
Without data sheets myself I can't recommend much, except the general checking of components. Transformer primaries and secondaries where you have similar devices for comparison, and semiconductors for shorts.

I ordered the book. The unit is 110 volt output. I've been suspicious of the transformer, but don't have the specs to check it. If I could only find a tech who worked for Powerware or Exide who could get the repair manual, that would be great.
As far as load, the heat sink holding the mosfets warms up when I energise the battery connection. I only leave the connection on long enough for a quick reading, before the fuses have a chance to blow. Actually, I have a circuit breaker in place of the fuses. When I put 100watt 110volt lite bulbs in place of the fuses, they glow, the heat sink warms up, but nothing much else happens.
When I energise the unit from the 110 volt side, a relay clicks, an alarm beeps, and only about five volts goes to the battery connection. This is with the batteries out.

Any thoughts to just trading that old unit in for a replacement. YOu probably will find a new UPS is more efficient these days and will actually require less commercial power, and will most likely have better specificiations.

Eight years is a long time for technology changes.

That Eaton unit can be traded with some trade-in programs they are currently running.

Unless you are enjoying the learning curve, it seems like a lot of hair pulling to me.

If your looking for a place, CBMI.com does repairs. They are the only APC certified repair shop if you have an APC unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back