Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any1 know how to use Asp.net with IIS 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidro

MIS
Sep 28, 2002
US
Hi,
Im fairly new to IIS and was wondering how to use Asp.net with IIS. I've compile the asp page with Visual Studio.net
and got a page with the extension .aspx. I tried to rename that page to default.aspx but it doesnt work. Before I had
default.htm and it works. Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Thankx in advance.

What do you mean with "It doesnt work". If with the extension html it works, then maybe it is supposed to be an HTML document and not aspx. Are you using ASP code or just html?
I'm using IIS 5.1, Visual Studio.Net and aspx pages and everything works fine.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Do you have IIS service running on your computer?

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Hi,
Like I said I'm new to IIS. Heres what I have done so far.
I installed IIS already. Theres a few folders whaich I dont really know what its for except the folder.
In the folder theres an htm default file that IIS create during installation. I made an Asp.net file with Visual studio.net and it resides in a folder called,"WebApplication1" with a bunch of other .net files.
I copied the Webform1.aspx, renamed it to default.aspx and replaced it with the default.htm file in the folder. Then to check if it work or not I typed in " in Internet explorer. This is the error message I got,

"Server application Unavailable.The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
"

However, when I type in the whole directory to the project file example, it works.

By default if I type in," Internet Explorer will bring up the "default.htm" file that resides in the folder.Now, I dont want it to bring up the default.htm file when I type in " in my browser, instead I would like it to bring up the "Webform1.aspx" that Ive created in vs.net. How do I do that? Do I just copy and rename the Webform1.aspx to default.aspx and stick that file in the folder?Or do I need to modify something? Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie:)

On the server, there is a designation concerning which page names represent valid "default" documents. Usually, this list contains such page names as default.htm, default.html, index.htm, index.html, index.asp, default.asp, etc., etc.

Could it be that you're just calling up the page by address and not specifically by name without adding it to the list?

If so, either add it to the list of default page names, or call it up specifically... e.g.,
Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back