Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way/tool to search PDFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sndkick

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
I am a fairly seasoned ASP developer and am looking for a tool/api/method to allow website visitors to search through the body text of an archive of PDF documents as well as searching site HTML files. I have a fairly robust TXT/HTML/ASP page search, but am looking for an easy way to add PDFs to my list of searchable documents. Does anyone have any ideas about how to best approach this? I would assume Adobe has some type of tool, but searching their site yielded nothing of the sort.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Hi sndkick,

If I'm not mistaken, the IIS Indexing Server will index PDF, WORD, POWERPOINT and such so you can include them in your site search.

You may have to look into that though as I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers,

G.

Gorken is right, the NT4 Option Pack and Windows 2000 both come with an indexing service that will allow text searches of files on your server. You will also need an Adobe plugin for this indexing service in order to allow PDF files to be indexed. This plugin is called PDF IFilter and should be just what you need. Tony
reddot.gif WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=2 VSPACE=3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back