Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to "fix" a USB drive to recover contents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
As an inexperienced Mac user I have a USB flash drive that I transport documents from and to my Mac to my work PC. Recently the USB drive is not totally recognized by the PC and not recognized at all on the mac.

Any suggestions as to how or what software might be available to try and regain access to these documents?

Thanks for any guidance - B [sad]

You might try taking the hard drive out of the USB case and installing it directly in your PC. Many of these USB drives have power supply issues.

If you do this, you may also be able to run low-level diagnostics that are not available on a USB-connected drive.

You might also try Disk Utility. It may help you recover files, or at least see what state the drive is.

....JIM....

If you're talking about a USB flash drive, not hard drive, as you said originally, then quite likely, the problem is the soldered connection between the USB connector and the flash memory itself.

If this is indeed the case, then the only way to get at the data (that I'm aware of) is to open up the flash drive, and basically resolder the connection from the USB connector to the flash memory. I've seen this done (online) by taking a piece of a USB wire, and splicing one end to the flash memory, and just keeping the USB wire's connector intact - that way, it's only required to solder one end - so less chance of mess-ups. Then, of course, if it can be read, get your data off, and trash the drive - unless you just want to keep it for some reason. When I say trash the drive, I mean to destroy it so no one can get the data off later if they so choose.

Oops - my mistake. I missed the "flash". What kjv said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back