Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to add "Links" toolbar to Windows Explorer yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRjunk

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2011
US
See also thread1726-1593533

Is there a hack or a third-party app that will restore the "Links" toolbar to Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)?

In XP, I use this toolbar to quickly navigate from one folder to the next and back and forth within one instance of windows explorer all day long in my workflow.

Also posted to

Can you do anything with this folder, C:\Users\usernamexxxx\Links, and the right-click on the Taskbar/ Toolbars/ New Toolbar, and select the folder Links as the destination in the New Toolbar?

Do not choose the other "Links" from the right-click on the Taskbar.

Well, what I need is to access the old xp Links toolbar from the upper right of a windows explorer window, not the taskbar. I wish I could paste a screen shot. This is for navigating back and forth through all my hundreds of work folders and files in vastly different locations on my computer directory, ftp sites and websites. I can click back and forth within the same winexplorer window and use the left pane to navigate down further when needed. It's fantastic.

There is no way to 'pin' this many items in W7 and still be usable, plus I think they would only open in separate instances anyway. So I am left to very slowly and tediously scroll and click manually through the entire path and back and forth for every folder or site I need to check as I work. I will forget what I am looking for before I find it.

W7 is great for music, pictures and video, but this is a dedicated work machine and unfotunately it's so media-oriented that I can't get any work done on it.

Those are great links--thanks! Here is a screen shot. I tried to blur out the details, but I hope you can see how this Links toolbar allows me to:
1. quickly open my local customer folder on the right, scroll to the exact folder on the left, check what I need...
2. click over to the ftp site customer folder on the right, scroll down to the exact folder in the middle, check what I need...
3. click over to my Desktop on the right, check what I need...
4. use the back button at the top to return...
5. click over to my applications customer folder on the right, scroll to the exact customer database on the left, work on that, etc.
I can quickly get from place to place, doing each step of my work along the way, all from the same windows explorer window. I never have to scroll very far or open another window to get to the next place--it's always accessible from the Links toolbar in the upper right--wherever I am.
In W7, I only have the left pane for navigation, so I have to scroll and click endlessly through several main areas with hundreds of customer folders and files under each, or have dozens of separate windows and files open. It's difficult to keep straight where I am and at what step in the process of my task. I spend so time clicking to the next place, I forget what I just checked in the last place, so I have to go back and do it all over again or keep them all open in separate windows. Now my database crashes and I have to reboot and find all the files and open them all again. Ugh! I miss XP.

linkstoolbar.gif

The only other suggestion I can think of at the moment, and it may not be very efficient, is the use of the Virtual Machine XP Mode.

Windows Virtual PC
Download Windows XP Mode

Windows XP Mode (Windows 7 only, but not any of the Home versions) "You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode".

Here are some other thoughts but these may not be relevant either.

If you look at Folder Options/ General, there are some options you could try.

Perhaps the "automatically expand to current folder" mentioned in the Navigation Pane section. With the last option you would have to use the Navigation Pane to make your selections change the location in the Address Bar.

Probably not quite what you wanted but it is the closest that Windows 7 may be able to do?

Automatically Expand Navigation Pane Tree to Current Folder in Windows 7

Here’s a list of alternatives to Explorer.

Windows Explorer Doesn't expand to where you are??
thread1726-1635400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back