Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any tricks for 100 BaseT long haul ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bithead9

MIS
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have a building with a LONG cat3 run (telco wire). It works FINE as 10BaseT. When I hook 100BastT to that line the port goes partitioned on my 3com 100MB hub. I was wondering if there are any special equipment or trick that I can do to get this working reliably at 100MB.

You don't say how long is LONG. I'm assuming your running close to or less than 100 meters since that's the 802.3's stated spec. I've only seen equipment that would get you T1 to 10Mb (which you run now) over cat1 or cat3 wire going over 100 meters. Not knowing your layout, it might be cheaper just to run the correct grade of cable to get 100Mb if you come within distance. If your close (say a few feet over) it's one of those chances you might could take. If your well over, then I'd look at fiber or maybe a point to point or multi-point wireless (something from DLink would be economical).

Yeah. I am well over the 100 meters. More like 160 meters or so. I am looking at fiber. thanks for your feedback. It confirmed what I was thinking.

You could put a switch in the middle of the run... but,
1. You really should use Cat5 or better for 100Mb
2. If there's a possibility of using fiber you will be much better off in the long run.

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back