Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Tips on Installing XP on A Vista Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliebrown07

Technical User
Aug 15, 2007
US
I have a couple of apps that are not compatable with Vista. So I am unistalling vista for XP. Any tips I show know about?

You're probably going to have to boot to the XP CD and format, then install XP. Haven't tried it, but that's your safest bet assuming it will let you do that.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

You should also make sure, that your Pc manufacturer has XP compatible drivers for all the hardware.

There have been cases where the Dell website doesn't carry XP drivers for a particular model of Dell that comes preloaded with Vista.

Also if you don't want to have to remove Vista, you can always use Microsoft's Virtual PC (which is free if i'm not mistaken) to make a Virtual installation of XP on vista to run your applications.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Ok I was formatting the disk, took a break found a error message "Disk error ocurred" press ctrl+alt+del I press it and coots up the with the same error.

Read the FAQ referred to earlier and see if that resolves the Disk Error problem?

If it is a genuine Disk error the hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic bootable software to thoroughly check the condition of your drive.

Some clues and past stories here.

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install Windows Vista

Downgrading from Vista to XP
thread1583-1350480

Using DBAN
thread1583-1373898

XP Drivers for a Gateway w/Vista?
thread779-1329243: XP Drivers for a Gateway w/Vista?

How can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a Vista Pre-installed PC ?
thread779-1373663

Vista OS to xp pro OS?
thread779-1375858

Getting rid of Vista

Avira NTFS4DOS Personal

We have had the same issue with Laptops we have been configuring fr staff around the country.
We had a number of apps that would not work on Vista.
There are Downgrade RIGHTS for Vista home Business and above.
Your supplier should be able to supply you with both XP and Drivers (HP have done this for us).
It Has been as simple as booting from the XP disk hten installing the Drivers.
200 done so far with no Issues

Alright guys, I did the Xp install. I used Boot n Nuke first. That worked fine, I was able to install xp. Everything seems fine but now I have no online access. I went to device manager and there it was, the ethernet controller had a yellow question mark along with PCI DEVICE,
PCI Simple Communications controller, SM Bus controller, Video Controller. Can this be drivers I need to update? Dell website doesnt show anything for those, also XP cd negative. Any ideas??
Dell Inspiron 530

Have you tried to download the Vista drivers and install them? Essentially all you would need would be the NIC drivers then from there you can download the rest of them from actual PC instead of using another one.

This looks like the install file for the Vista driver from Dell's website.

In doing a search for Intel 825xx driver (which is what is listed for the Inspiron 530) I found this one for Windows XP

Use these at your own risk but they are direct from Dell.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back