Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any specific browser settings (in IE) for viewing excell contents ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akgd99

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2002
IN
Hi All,

I've got a crucial problem as the subject describes !
I have a ASP page that loads Excell in the IE container and shows the content of a recordset to the current worksheet.

The said page is loaded on Submition of another ASP page.
All pages are hosted in IIS 5.0

I am using the Response.ContentType directive to direct the output of the second page to Excel.

Now the problem is, when this EXCELL page is accessed from any client machine in my LAN, the following list of problems occur, varying from machine to machine and OS to OS :

1. It opens a blank page !
2. Opens a blank excell worksheet in IE container !
3. Displays an error msg stating that, 'Can't acces the requested file xxxx.asp' and then opens the excell in the container.
4. Displays an error msg stating that, 'Can't acces the requested file xxxx.asp' but, does not show anything !
5. Shows "Open/Save" dialog box. if selected "Save", it saves the excell file and if selected "Open", then either opens without any error or gives problem as stated in above 4 points.

The client operating system is Win9x/Win2k/WinXp
and the IE Version is 5.0 or higher. Excel being used is 2K or 97.

Can you suggest any suitable solution where IE opens the excell page or asks to save it to the client machine ??

Thanks in advance ...
regards,
akg.

I've found that I got errors when the file was already open. Could this be part of your problem? Maybe adding ondblclick="return false" to your link might solve some of the problems. Adam

I replied in the other post... thread333-347494

That will allow you to at least check on the client and see if it will be able to display, before the user is directed to the error page. They will need to have Office or the IE Excel Viewer be able to display the page...

Long day... I meant to say the page that is not providing the desired results, not an "error page," per-se.

-Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back