Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any "successful" method to uninstall or completely disable Windows Defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
I have always used an alternative security suite on my system and after the latest "automatic" update of Win 10 I've started running into
connection issues network-wise. All diagnostics seem to point to WD interfering. And it appears one CANNOT disable these "feature". Oh the control panel shows it
is disabled but the services are still running (determined by deep research).

Has anyone one experienced this and/or have any suggestions to accomplish my request?

Thanks [machinegun]

You can do it in group policy or

Tap on the Windows-key to open the Start Menu.
Type gpedit.msc and hit enter.
Confirm the UAC prompt to continue.
You find the setting by following this path: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
There you find the policy "Turn off Windows Defender".
Double-click on the policy.
Set the state of the policy to enabled in the window that opens, and click ok to save the change.

just disable it in the registry.

Tap on the Windows-key to open the Start Menu.
Type regedit.exe and hit enter.
Confirm the UAC prompt to continue.
Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
If you see the preference DisableAntiSpyware on the right double-click on it and set it to 1 to disable Windows Defender.
If the preference does not exist, right-click on Windows Defender and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value, and name it DisableAntiSpyware.

Thanks rclark* and I had already done the first (group policy) edit.

I did perform the regedit as described then rebooted. Not surprisingly its still active. Here is a screen print of its action panel:
wd-info_sfn9u5.jpg

No, it says you are protected by another antivirus provider.

Thanks again. I believe you "but" there is still an icon in the notification area and task mgr still shows a couple of services for it running. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back