Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any quick 'n easy Netware uninstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronel

Vendor
Sep 17, 1999
US
I'm helping a couple of unwealthy not-for-profits reconfigure some PCs that were donated to them. One such PC is a slower Pentium-class box. It came with an Ethernet board and Win95 plus Novell Netware installed. And wouldn't you know it: the PC's original install discs have long since gone missing; Win95 CAB files do reside on the PC, but nothing of the original Novell stuff is available.<br>
<br>
The PC generally works fine. The organization is not going to hook it into a LAN because there isn't one. However, I was asked to install an internal modem. Lo and behold, the modem works in terminal mode but not with Web browsers. Further tinkering indicates to me that the latent Netware setup is influencing Dialup Networking. The modem dials, connects, and exchanges logon data, but the browser can't find any URLs and acts as if the modem is offline when it is clearly not. I tried de-re-/installing DUN and removing network devices via the Control Panel prefs, but I always get a call from the system for the original Novell disks, and then I cancel or skip that and the installation apparently fails to complete properly.<br>
<br>
Any shortcut to resolving this?I do presume removing the Netware files and cleaning up the Registry might be the fix, but this really isn't my department. Presumably, I could have the church buy a brand new copy of Windows and start all over, but the idea here is to keep things cheap or free for the year or two the group uses this box.

If you have the Windows95 CAB files on the hard drive then you can reinstall from there or in control panel check in the ADD/Remove icon to see if there is any Novell programs that can be removed. Otherwise no need to buy a CD if you have the cab files. Reinstalling Windows95 would clean up the regeristry but delete all other programs as well.<br>
<br>
The novell client should have a uninstall program either under "start, programs, Novell" or under the Novell directory.<br>
<br>
Good Luck<br>
Tool

Tool,<br>
<br>
Thanks. While awaiting a reply, I did find the Novell uninstaller but not on my system. However:<br>
<br>
1. Using the uninstaller appears not to be 100% effectivee in removing Netware, as I still see what appear to be references to same on the system and in the reinstallation procedure for DUN. DUN reinstallation no longer calls for Netware disks, so that's an improvement, and the uninstaller claims to have cleaned out the Registry, but my hunch is I'm not clean there, yet.<br>
<br>
2. The dang "no URL on Web" modem problem persists.<br>
<br>
Seems like I'm going to have to reinstall Windows. <br>
<br>
Gee, what a robust operating system!<br>
<br>
Thanks again,<br>
<br>
ronel

Just remove the Netware Client in the Networks part of the control panel. It shouldn't ask for any disks at all, just a reboot. It's easy and simple.<br>
Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back