Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANY PROBLEM WITH MTRJ ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavierBS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
CO
Hi

Since it has been the performance of the connections MTRJ in the BlackDiamond 6808.

They have had any problem with them???

JavierBS

SC connectors are better than MTRJ in my opinion. I have had MTRJ connectors fall apart and warp (due to heat I think) and get stuck in the switch port. They are not easy to get out if you have to force them. I just don't have these problems with SC. Yes they are a much smaller foot print and yes you dont have to verify that the fibers are not crossed but the problems far outweigh the benefits in my experience.

Just my close to worthless opinion.

Brian

Yeah had some problems with MTRJ gig cards, build quality on the cards can be a problem.. ports occasionally being too small for the connectors ! Also had some fun, with SUN and IBM boxes trying to connect to MTRJ gig, sometimes they just dont want to connect, plug them into SC and they work fine. If it wasn't for the space I wouldn't bother,
Incidently does anyone know what type of connector the new 16 port cards are on ??

I haven't had problems like those, occasionally I've had a problem with a MTRJ patch cable either being crossed over, or not, so I don't get link on the switch. The other problem we had was port failing on the G12 boards, this has been resolved. I just recently was on a in house training session on terminating MTRJ, it's a little finicky.

Ourrob, I believe their MTRJ.

MTRJ interfaces are advantageous because they have a small form-factor.

MTRJ interfaces have gained popularity w/vendors who need high port density relative to the amount of space available for an interfaces' footprint. Chances are, if you look @ any MTRJ module, you’ll find that there simply was not enough real-estate available to build SC-duplex interfaces.

The disadvantage of using this type of interface is that the MTRJ connectors have high insertion loss (when compared to that of SC-duplex). This, however, typically does not logically impact performance when used in conjunction w/ short wave (SX) LASERS. Due to the high insertion-loss, MTRJ interfaces are NOT recommend for use in long wave (LX) LASER applications where greater end-to-end cable distances are often found.

MTRJ is also oddly unique in that most patch cables and/or jumper cables are female/female in gender (this contradicts most patch/jumper cable logic, i.e., RJ45 M/M, SC-duplex M/M). As a general rule, NICs & switch ports w/ MTRJ interfaces are MTRJ M/M so we’d need a MTRJ F/F cable to connect said ports. MTRJ/M cables are reserved for special circumstances (i.e., a fiber trunk).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back