Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any java IDE that is similar to Visual Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfprg

Programmer
Apr 14, 2004
US

I am basically a dotnet developer. I use visual studio.net IDE to develop application.

Now i need to create a small desktop application in java which will a form (a bit complicated to type all the code, as there are many controls i need to add). I can make the same application in no time in Visual studio, using it's toolbox with out writing much code by myself (except at event handlers).

Is there any similar IDE in java.

I am planning to use swing.

yes, I recommand eclipse, or you can try NetBeans, both of them are very good on visual design.

Eclipse, Visual design, when, where, how??

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

If you're used to knocking up application GUIs 'in no time' in Visual Studio, I think you're gonna be disappointed with Swing. It takes a little more time to get results [bigsmile]

Tim
---------------------------
"Your morbid fear of losing,
destroys the lives you're using." - Ozzy

Yes, yes but he said there was visual design in eclipse but I can't seem to find it. Am I missing something (No need to answer this one tim).

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

Sorry, they are the plugin of eclipse. Do the following steps:

From eclipse menu

Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install

you need to download three plugins

EMF
GEF
VE

Oh, nice, I will try that. And why din't anybody tell me this?

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

Teach says we can't use that [cry] , spoilsport.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I think the code Eclipse generates is pretty good, really close to what I'd do myself.

Cheers,
Dian

A method to create similar Objects - i.e.: JButtons.
Code:
private JButton createButton (String name, String tooltip, Actionlistener al, ...)
{
        JButton jb = new JButton (name);
        //...
        return jb;
}
JDeveloper isn't able to generate the graphic aquivalent if you use such factory-methods.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I'm using NetBeans, which although it's a little clunky, it's ok once you get used to it.

BTW JDeveloper from Oracle is free now. It is pretty good on Visual component design. But it won't be the same as visual studio since Swing is not the same as Windows Forms.

Mark [openup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back