Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any independent techs out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exverizon

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
I've been an independent tech for about 4 years now and trying to get my biz to take off, but sometimes it's crawling. Besides a Yellow Page ad and word-of-mouth, I'm trying to find other routes that might bring work that won't cost me a fortune. I thought I'd approach general contractors whose jobs include phone work, but I suppose the electricians they hire generally do that part of the job as well. Anyone else in this forum a solo tech who can toss me a tip or three? What have you found that's proven beneficial in establishing a decent tech business?

Tech in what?

I know secretaries that are called technicians.

I came across a call-manager (phone operator)

I spoke with a sales manager, who manages the coca cola truck he drives.

Can you be a little more specific?

Steven

Hello,

Great question. There are two kinds of marketing, general and focused. They can be applied to dating, job searches, sales, and getting more business. My consulting business didn't get a lot of return from general marketing (yellow pages, etc.) but it did very well with focused marketing.

I picked which companies I thought I would like to consult for, then I looked at the company like a castle I wanted to storm.

First: Pick the company you want to perform work for.
Second: Figure out someone you know that works there.
Third: Ask the person to tell you who would be a good person at the company to talk to.
Fourth: Talk to that person.

If you have a strong desire and conviction to work for a specific organization, you will eventually get in, and you will get work. Be relentless and confident. It will take time, but you will storm the "Castle".

LoaferMan - There is no practice life. This is it. (Billy Crockett)

Another good approach is to network with people in the fields that you want to consult for. You could join your local Chamber of Commerce, etc.

Try some public speaking, attend luncheons, etc..

This might help as well.

Noble

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

In our area, the electricians usually do get the low voltage cabling, but most have to sub it out. They will usually pull the new cables and have everything labeled. Their sub will come in and install everthing else. (Racks, patch panels, and all the terminatons.)They also do the certification when they need to. That may be a way for you to pick up a little more work.

Mike Jones
Louisiana State University Health Sciences center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back