Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any ideas what makes my hdd led blink once very 1 second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
My system is on 24x7 running Win 7 Ent SP1 on an HP Pavilion machine. When the system is at idle I can watch the hdd led blink once every 1 second like clockwork (no pun intended). Wondering what might be causing this activity I used task manager to stop processes one by one to see if the activity stopped. I tried to use my intelligence to select the items to be stopped. But none of what I stopped made any difference.

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering if any Windoze gurus can speculate on what task/service is causing this?

If anyone is bored enough to enlighten me I'd be grateful.

Thanks [ponder]

Good thought cmeagan656! I checked on indexing/search were both on. Turned them off and we'll see what happens.

Thanks and enjoy! [smile]

Just for grins, try changing the update speed in your task manager. It's very possible the pagefile is being read for each refresh interval.
Not to mention, no telling how often the OS thinks the pagefile gets updated from idle processes.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Dave,

I've looked through the Task Manager and cannot find where to change the speed that you refer to. I would like to try your suggestion but need advice on how to change the speed?

Thanks [ponder]

BobMCT:

In task manager, click the View menu, then Update Speed, and change to High

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back