Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any ideas for a corporate Listserv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lap73

MIS
Jul 11, 2001
US
I have a request from one of our departments to be able to send out massive email mailings on a fairly routine basis. They are talking about sending to over 90,000 recipients, and that number will continue to grow. I do not want to have this kind of message load on our corporate GroupWise servers. I fear that it would be a night-mare to administer with message size limits, mailbox size limits, sudden bursts if SMTP traffic, and all of the bounce-back messages that it will generate.

I feel that a Listserv server of some kind would be a better solution to this request. However, all I seem to find on the Internet, are Listserv services that are hosted by other organizations. Since I work for a hospital, I suspect that my IS Security division will not want a mailing list of our constituants in the hands of an outside organization. So, I would like to explore the possibility of hosting our own internal Listserv server, but I am unfamiliar with the technology or if this is even possible. If anyone has been faced with a similar situation, do you have any suggestions for this??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back