Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any good Oracle Book recomendations.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptmcs

Technical User
Oct 1, 2004
GB
I have a forthcoming role which will give me an opportunity to use Oracle for the first time in anger.

Anyone suggest any good books along the lines of:

Good Oracle Quick Reference...

A good DBA book (i'm familiar with DBA'ing Sybase)

A good PL/SQL book etc etc...

any suggestions appreciated....

any good links to websites also appreciated. . . .

Many thanks

PTX,

Any of the "Oracle Press" books (which, by the way, are not from Oracle, per se), are all very well written, easy reads. You can obtain them from Amazon.com for decent prices that arrive in a reasonable time from purchase date.

Just go to Amazon.com and place your search key(s) in the window and choose what sounds good to you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I still regularly use my "Oracle 8 - A Beginner's Guide" from Oracle Press. Naturally it doesn't cover 9i or 10g features, but I like the fact that I can easily find what I'm looking for. Probably Oracle Press will have a similar beginners guide for 10g. If they do, I would certainly recommend it.

Oracle Concepts Manual
SQL Reference
PL/SQL Users Guide

All from Oracle and available for free on the web.

looks great, thanks guys.....

As someone with Microsoft, Informix and DB2 background as well, I like Oracle The Complete Reference by Loney on Osborne/Oracle Press. I can usually find the translation in proprietary SQL or terminology I am looking for.

For PL/SQL I like the PL/SQL Programming book also from Osborne/Oracle Press.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

I have the following from O'Reilly:
Mastering Oracle SQL
Oracle SQL*Plus
Oracle PL/SQL Programming

I find all of these useful for reference, but not so good for a quick "What does the syntax look like?" questions.

For those things that somehow just don't stick in my head (updating a table from another table is one!) I use this online resource:
And I find it excellent.

Hope it helps you too.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back