Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any good message boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can anyone recommend a good message board for inclusion into my web site? <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= HomePage</a><br>WebMaster - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

Thank you, I have this downloaded, but when I try to use it, I get this message, any idea why? I have the perl files in my cgi-cin directory, is there anything I need to do with frontpage 2000 to make this work?<br>
<br>
HTTP Error 405<br>
405 Method Not Allowed<br>
<p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= HomePage</a><br>WebMaster - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

Have you changed the read/write permissions of:<br>
<br>
<br>
faq.html<br>
messages/ (directory)<br>
data.txt<br>
<br>
<br>
Check the Readme file that came with the script for specific instructions.<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
Bruce McDermott

How about a site that will create one for you?&nbsp;&nbsp;They're free, easily customizable and you don't have to write the code?<br><br>Go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p> <br><a href=mailto:aberman@thebiz.net>aberman@thebiz.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Database programmer and developer, fueled by peach snapple.

Kyrene,<br><br>Not a real corporate solution.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go there and type &quot;sex&quot; into the forum search and it returns 101 (some very nasty) forums.&nbsp;&nbsp;If management at my company saw me doing anything with them I'd be out on my rear-end in a minute.&nbsp;&nbsp;:-(<br><br>Sorry, we're really old fashioned here.<br><br>Bernie

Oh, ok... I do so see your point there!&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Yes, a corporate solution would require a private bulletin board.&nbsp;&nbsp;As I understand it, they're fairly easy to code. <p> <br><a href=mailto:aberman@thebiz.net>aberman@thebiz.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Database programmer and developer, fueled by peach snapple.

Kyrene,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;Sure it's easy to code a crappy generic BBS looking message board. I would like something a bit more detailed. You know search engine, sort by *, Expanded converstations that sort of thing. <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

You can EASILY code all of those using ASP or Cold Fusion--search engine and all. <p> <br><a href=mailto:aberman@thebiz.net>aberman@thebiz.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Database programmer and developer, fueled by peach snapple.

I'm currently working on a company intranet, and have found the forum software (Ceilidh) available from:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> be very feature rich, and perfect for a corporate enivironment.&nbsp;&nbsp;Although, the free version is great, the product license is very reasonable and adds further functionality.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your web must be CGI capable.<br><br>Ray

I am now using an ASP forum script I found on the internet. It works very well, except now I am having problems with the borders. Oh well, if anyone wants to check it out you can find it at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> , click on the Forums link.<br><br>Thanks for all the advise. And I am also going to check out the forum software from Ceilidh seuggested by oper8r, to see if it is better. Keep me updated if anyone else knows of a good web board or forum script. <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

Noticed this thread and would like to suggest if the topic is technical, just add the appropriate forum link to Tek-Tips from your site.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also join our Partner Program (details at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> ) and see how many login using the forums.&nbsp;&nbsp;Every new member you refer to Tek-Tips also is marked with a permanent return link to your site whenever they are using the forums.<br><br>Just a suggestion.&nbsp;&nbsp;:)<br><br>Dave Murphy, CEO<br>Tecumseh Group, Inc.<br><A HREF="mailto:dmurphy@tecumsehgroup.com">dmurphy@tecumsehgroup.com</A><br>(Tek-Tips Forums management company)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back