Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any good material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Good day

I would like to post this question and maybe some one can help me out -
It has been a long time since I have installed and configured a DNS server and a full blown working exchange server (taking over the MX records) - For the past 5 years it has been outsourced and now the company wants to bring them in-house. What I need is a refresher on how to.

Anybody know of a good book that I could purchase to bring me back up to speed on DNS and Exchange 2000?

Thank You

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

look for books on 70-216/221 for DNS and 70-224/70-225 for Exchange 2k... you can probably pick up all you need from Amazon Z-shops or your local used books store for $0.99 to $5.00 each since they're "obsolete" (actually not; but selling books is a tough business).

Look for titles from coriolis, microsoft press (best labs), sybase, syngress, and others...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Thanks jtb

I appriciate the quick response but there are over 10 thousand books to choose from - Which one would you or others suggest for what I need. I already have my certs and need some supplementation and refresher info.

Thanks again

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

Thanks JTB

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

A good book that I use quite a bit for reference is Mastering Windows 2000 server by Mark Minasi. It's not really a certification book but has about anything you want to know about Windows 2000. For Exchange I used the 70-224 Study Guide by Sybex. It seems to have more practical real world examples and info than the MOC stuff does.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Minasi's books are very entertaining to read and seem to be great references; but don't let anyone fool you... no book or combination of books (or braindumps) is enough to get an MCSE and hold a job in this field... you *need* to have some "hands-on" experience, even if it's only on a couple of PCs in your home lab...

And remember the training PCs need only be Pentium 133 MHz CPU/128MB RAM/1.2GB HD/2x Speed CDROM for W2K and roughly P2 450 MHz CPU/256MB RAM/2GB HD/8x Speed CDROM for 2003...

Sure, you won't use 'em for gaming; but you can but 3 or 4 for less than a new machine capable of running Virtual PC or VMware and etc... and believe me there are some things about building the PCs you won't experience in a virtual world that can bite you in the workplace... ;-)

YMMV; but why spend more than you need to get certified?

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

Thanks

But like I said I already have my certifications and I really don't need to build a network waht I am looking for is more advance information to bring me up beyond the MCSE basics such as

All the little stuff that has to be done when moving a MX record inhouse from a external site.

Or

Utilizing the DNS to seperate web sites and FTP sites

Any suggestions

bob

"ZOINKS !!!!!"

Shaggy

all from nearby
DNS and MX:
[ol][li][/li][li][/li][/ol]
IIS FTP vs. HTTP:
[ol][li][/li][li][/li][/ol]
Exchange 2000 Advanced Topics:
[ol][li][/li][li][/li][li][/li][/ol]

rphips said:
All the little stuff that has to be done when moving a MX record inhouse from a external site.

while I cannot tell you in this small space exactly what steps to take (it's not as simple as baking sugar cookies), this link will point you to the places you'll want to explore. And don't try anything on Production first. Convince everyone that you need to spend AT THE VERY LEAST as much time planning as implementing unless you want the CEO's email to be down for a week...

rphips said:
Utilizing the DNS to seperate[sic] web sites and FTP sites
This is a difficult question since I don't know enough of your planning. Do you have more than one server? More than one IP address? More than one domain? It can all be done with IIS, load balancers like the Cisco 11503, some firewalls, etc... you can build multiple virtual directories on a single box (each requiring different modes of access, cluster multiple servers, etc...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back