Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any FrontPage users still around? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

usarmycwo

Technical User
May 28, 2005
US
I have a probably simple (but, ha, personally challenging) problem with my FrontPage website.

Before describing it, I'm wondering if I might be the last person on earth still using FrontPage.

Any FrontPagers out there?

-- Steve, San Antonio TX

Steve, I notice you didn't get any replies to your request. I have to say that I'm not surprised. I think FrontPage was discontinued about 20 years ago, and even before that it didn't have a huge following.

I used FrontPage from about 1997 (I think it was version 3.0). The main reason I used it was that I had only a very vague idea about HTML, and I wanted a WYSIWYG tool that required little technical knowledge. I was quite happy with it until about 2000, when I taught myself HTML from a book. I decided to re-write my own website from scratch, hand-coding the HTML, mainly as a training exercise.

It was only after I had learned HTML (and CSS) that I realised how awful the code was the FrontPge generated. Still, it served its purpose for me for a while, so I can't complain.

I'm sorry I can't offer to help with your present FrontPage problem. I hope you have managed to solve it.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

It would help to explain what the problem is, rather than asking if there is an audience. Even if the person who can answer your question is not an existing member of Tek-Tips, your question may prompt them to join and answer.

As Frontpage had no understanding of the mobile web (or even modern screen resolution), any site built with it deserves an update. If you post your question, someone may offer advice to work within the limits of Frontpage...or recommend the next best tool.

Well, this is a surprise, to get an email alerting me to replies posted five months ago.

Spamjim said "It would help to explain what the problem is, rather than asking if there is an audience." Sure enough, and here it is.

First, a little background. I use Frontpage for a personal website that lets me share some of my enthusiasms with friends and family.

The problem is that some of my pages don't load, while other similar ones load fine.

For example, this page (among a few others) returns "Error 404, not found"

While these similar pages open just fine:

The home page containing these links is:
I use Filezilla to upload changes to the web pages.

All suggestions will be most appreciated. (Ha, no rush, no one's opening these pages anyway.)

(Mike Lewis, yes, I thought about diving deep into HTML but decided it would take too much time from other passions - family, work, other little things - that a mere hobby couldn't justify. In the end it was the right decision. For me, if not for many others like you.)

Hi

Steve said:
For example, this page (among a few others) returns "Error 404, not found"
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.stevenkohn.net/[highlight pink]d[/highlight]eserted[highlight pink]i[/highlight]sland[highlight pink]b[/highlight]ooks/[/url]
In change this loads fine : [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.stevenkohn.net/[highlight lime]D[/highlight]eserted[highlight lime]I[/highlight]sland[highlight lime]B[/highlight]ooks/[/url]

To me this looks pretty generic typo, not something FrontPage specific.

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back