Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any Free Space Optics pro users... pls come in

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscw88

MIS
Nov 6, 2003
SG
hi

welcome to this thread.

Need to make enquiry and discussion some issues on FSO with the experts and FSO network professionals here.

1st Qs:

anyone here noes of any simulation freeware/shareware/ads-ware on FSO (for FSO performance simulation where it accept some input value and generated output result) where I can download from the internet?

2nd Qs:

There r 3 wavelength tt r used in fso signal, 758nm, 850nm and 1550nm. which wavelength r most suitable?wat r the pros and cons of these wavelength?

rumours hav mentioned tt by using 1550nm wavelength will improve amospheric attenuation of the signal, is tt true?

Pls comments. Thks for the help.

regrds

What the heck are you doing?
The wave lengths you are mentioning are what's used for
light in fiber optics.

hi bobg1

The wave lengths tt I have mentioned are used as laser signal in free space optics communication technology.

Have u setup/support/implement this technology b4? r u a network professional in using this technology?

btw, for ppl who hav not heard of this technology, free space optics (FSO) is not fiber optics. They r different technology. FSO used air media (meaning wireless) to transmit data.

regrds

to bobg1

currently, I studying this technology and trying to find ways to improve attenuation due to atmosphere (fog, haze, snow and rain).

regrds

The biggest problem with this is exactly what you have mentioned. fog,haze,snow and rain will either reflect or refract the beam. On top of those major problems, over any type distance just the molecules in the air it is passing through will refract enough to degrade the signal.

did u hav any personal experience in implement this technology b4?

hav u come across any ways to improve fso data signal due to atmospheric attenuation(fog, haze, snow and rain)?

Here is what I can add.

There is an open source project called Ronja.

I correspond (ICQ) regularly with the owner of the company linked below. He is working with a company that builds a modified Ronja and will soon be testing a 100 Mbps laser design.

There is also a Ronja mailing list that may be of some help.

I'm sorry, I know this is not what your were asking for but I hope this points you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back