Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any experience with SuperDLT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itergo

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
DE
Hi,

currently we are running DLT7000 drives, but becaus of the increasing data we have to switch to another tape technology. Because of the backward compability in reading I decide to buy SuperDLT. Does anybody has experience with that type of technology?

Thanks in advance
Stefan Bartels
ITERGO Hamburg

Hi,

We have suffered THAT much with DLT7000 reliability,that I would not come even close to using anything that resemles me ANY DLT type at all.

We now use AIT,and got 100 of our customers to move theit data from DLT to AIT.

Unless one does not care reading the data one day ... "Long live king Moshiach !"
h

Hi:

My experience is different, I am moving my customers to SDLT. It is very fast mounting, and so far we have sold 6 libraries with SDLT. No problems at all.

Regards

A posted a couple of months ago asking about experience with SDLT and got no concrete responses. However, one of the other departments in our company has been using them for three weeks with no problems. Has anyone tested the backward read compatibility with SDLT??? We're looking to buy some and I'm considering scanning some older tapes to recover indexes for one client.

We used 6 SDLT drives since 5 months, and we have no problems.

There are installed in STORAGETEK L700, and they are connected on SAN

The backward read compatibility is full with DLT7000 and DLT4000.

The main problem is with AIX, there is no driver, and it's not highly reliable .

We have twenty drives that have minimal use and have had two die in five months.

joe

Don't bother. Look in to LTO. It is much more reliable. We have had countless media issues with SDLT and several drive failures with tapes stuck in drives, etc. I am not impressed with the reel design of SDLT. I was able to throw LTO cartridges against the floor violently several times and still be able to do restores. Look further.

Right.

I have 5 years experience with DLT problems - I wish I had that many dollares as the problems I have dealt with.

The final investigation showed - that whatever you name it - DLT7000/SDLT/DLT8000 - the TECHNOLOGY is unreliable,not anything else.

We have realised it the hard way - we do ARCHIVES,not backups.

Archives ARE almost always read !! Backups are mostly written,not READ.
Then you really get into trouble.

We are really happy with AIT since,almost error free. "Long live king Moshiach !"
h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back