Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Excel Experts Out There? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bremmerz

MIS
Apr 10, 2002
GB
I have an imported csv file 16000 records in it. One of the fields has a format that looks like this:

"SNADS:DOMAIN/SMITHJO%SMTP:John.Smith@domain.com%X400:c=COM;a=DBP;p=ABC;o=COMPANY;s=Smith;g=John;i=AK;%MRS:John.Smith@MRSIN.domain.com"

I would like to be able the export the information 'SMTP:John.Smith@domain.com' from the each of these 16,000 records. The name John.Smith is different for every record, but '@domain.com' remains persistent.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

TIA,

Kris.

If someone annoys you, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes :eek:)

I didn't want to assume that all of the domains were .com, so I assumed all of the addresses could be found between [blue]
Code:
 %SMTP:
[/color]
and [blue]
Code:
 %X400
[/color]

If that is indeed the case, then this formula should give you what you want:
[blue]
Code:
=MID(A1,FIND("%SMTP:",A1)+6,FIND("%X400",A1)-FIND("%SMTP:",A1)-6)
[/color]

Hi,

Here's a formula where A14 is a source data cell...
Code:
=MID(A14,FIND("SMTP:",A14),(FIND("%",A14,FIND("SMTP:",A14))-FIND("SMTP:",A14)))
hope this helps :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Ah, I missed the point that you wanted to include the "SMTP:" in the result. In that case, my version should be revised to:
[blue]
Code:
=MID(A1,FIND("%SMTP:",A1)+1,FIND("%X400",A1)-FIND("%SMTP:",A1)-6)
[/color]

Guys,

If you where female I'd kiss u! But you'll just have to make-do with a manly handshake, a shiny purple star and a MASSIVE THANK YOU!

:)

If someone annoys you, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back