Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any endorsements for SDLT or LTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenli

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
We are currently trying to decide what format to go to with our Windows 2000 servers and have not found anyone who is willing to endorse either Super DLT or LTO with Legato 6.11 or 6.2. Is there anyone out there that is using this new type format with Windows 2000?

Hi,
We're running Windows 2000 advanced server with 6 Seagate Viper LTO drives via 3 2 channel Ultra 3 SCSI lvd cards. Our networker version is 6.0.2. We've been running with this config for about 4 months and put simply, the drives are smoking fast. The biggest limitation to how fast they write depends on your network and how fast the client can send the data. Our fastest servers (backup wise) have gigabit nic cards and can write to a drive at about 20-30MBps when they run simultaniously (about 4 servers). I have heard from our vendor that the quality of the media that you purchase can have a large impact on the stability of your backups.
Hope this helps!

We are currently bringing up a W2K server running 6.1.1 with SDLT drives. So far the W2K and NT 4.0 clients are functioning fine. The SAN nodes are backing up at rates varying from 13-20 Mb/sec.

The network clients are getting between 1.5-5 Mb/sec.

I think that it can be hard to find any big differences in speed and capacity, however we've had quite a few problems with SDLT drives and I think that LTO is more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back