Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any download stops after a few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

widdgetz

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
I have a rather debilitating network issue. All downloads, whether mail, http, or other protocols, stop abruptly if they take more than an arbitrary number of seconds. However, uploads are fine.

Although the amount of time seems to be random, the problem is system-wide in all programs that connect to the internet.

I have tried several things:
DSLReports.com bandwidth test - download bar stops
New network adapter
Changing adapter hardware settings
Adapter driver updates
Disabled Kaspersky Web antivirus and HTTP scanning
Ping works but tracert times out
Even downloads direct from my localhost stop!

For instance, I tried downloading Perl::Magick, but the download stopped after 1 second. I paused and resumed the download, then it downloaded for another second and stopped.

I am using an on-board gigabit ethernet adapter (also tried a PCI adapter to no avail). Running XP, Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0, Zone Alarm Firewall, and I've kept the system clean. Firefox 2, Thunderbird 1.5.

Another computer behind the same hub works fine.

Please, does anyone have any tips or need more info?
Thanks!

The problem was Zone Alarm. One or more of the buffers were corrupted and uninstalling it did the trick.

Strange problem, easy solution.

Thanks for the input widdgetz, its nice to see the solution for a change.

xit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back