Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any data on media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APierce1

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
I'm using a tape autoloader using Ultrium tapes to do our nightly backup. Slots 1 thru 5 contain the tapes for Monday thru Friday. This past week I changed out the tapes as they were full and also enabled compression. Now my job log shows that 30+gb are written to the tape, but the details for the tape in the device list shows 0mb of data on the tape. What the heck is going on?

Best regards,
Alan Pierce
Ithaca, NY

Go into the Restore manager and change to Restore by Session. Find the session for the tape that is showing 0 mb in Device Manager. It should show you the files that were written to the tape and the correct data file sizes. Try a restore of a couple of directories to your local drive on your backup server as a secondary check that it is actually writing data. I had this happen one day and then it hasnt happened again, but all the data is showing in the database as being on the tape and the restore jobs are able to find and restore the data from the tape.

Before going through the above process, export and import the tapes or move the tapes to another slot and do and inventory. When the tapes is inventoried it will then show the proper mb written to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back