Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANY CONSIDERATIONS FOR DEFRAGMENTING RAID ARRAYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2001
US
I want to propose a plan to my IT team for defragmenting our servers, we have 5 servers I am responsible for. When defragging servers with raid arrays is there any dangers in doing so and or what is the best method to perform defragmentation on servers. Thanks for any advice.

ww23
From what I remember, NT will automatically "attempt" to defrag itself on a regular basis. However, the only true defrag for an NT environment w/RAID (ie RAID 5) is to use a 3rd party product, such as offered by powerquest. ( ) or other vendors.

Good Luck ~

Would you suggest Perfect Disk Defragmenter by Raxco. It doesn't look like that PowerQuest product actually defragments hard drives.

I use Executive Softwares Diskeeper 7. Haven't had any problems with defraging our 3 18.2GB SCSI drives in a RAID 5 hardware array.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back