Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any chance of saving this corrupt db

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quotidius

Technical User
Jan 27, 2002
US
Two weeks from making my last backup I was this morning making a new module from thread 705-87253 in the Access VB forum. During the process of modifying the code that adds a new user to a workgroup my database started acting funny.

The next thing I know all my form have dissappeared! The module cannot be deleted! When I try to restore or backup the database it tells me, "Microsoft as detected coruption...try making repairs after first backing up." I can do neither of these

When I try to either open or delete the module I was working on when the trouble started, I get the following:
"user = myloging has detected coruption of this file..."

Even when I log in as somebody else with admin privledges the errors persist however my username shows up in the corner. Incidently, logins have to be with the shift key to bypass now missing startup form.

ANy help or suggestion is hugely appreciated. It looks like I've lost 2 weeks of painstaking work.

I am going to add to the thread of 705-87253 warning about the possible dire consequences of using its code!

I use Access 2000.

I had a similar problem recently. I fixed it by creating an empty database file and doing <File> <Get External Data> <Import>. I skipped what was giving me errors, and I copied the module's text instead of copying the module itself.

You could also try doing <Tools> <Database Utilities> <Compact and Repair Database> on a copy of the file.

Hope this helps.

Dave G

When all else fails, I have sometimes had luck creating a new blank database and importing all of the pieces into it.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution.

Have you tried decompiling yet?

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" /decompile "C:\MyDir\MyDatabase.mdb"

Thanks all for you suggestions.

Unfortunately, importing of the databases doesn't work. When doing so I get the same warning about the file being corrupted.

JoeAtWork, I created a shortcut with this code in the path.
It yields no favorable result. A couple of observations:

When I was loading the coding originating in thread 705-875253 it referenced a form "formNewUsers" -- while customizing this module I had not yet actually create this form. Hard to recall the events exactly but when I closed to save this module NewUSer the next thing I know ALL MY forms are vanished! In addition though each of my other modules display on the modules tab, when I try to view any of them Access says it cannot find the module. Also, if I make a new blank form and try to build any code on an event property Access comes accross with the following warning: "USER = myname is unable to load the visual vasaic application dynamic link library (DLL) Vbe6. Rerun the user = myname setup program."

Regarding the data tables, the first table I click on will have multiple instances of the prompt regarding the db's corruption but the table will eventually open. Subsequent table openings will have only one such warning and open.

This database was in development so the loss is not felt in my organization's operation. I will likely recreate this db but of course without the above code.

If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Thanks for all your efforts!

anybody can point us to that infamous 705-875253. i haven't been able to find this thread or the code associated with it. any ideas?

Did you use the exact path I posted? Because your MSAccess.exe may be located in a different directory. I have three versions of Access installed, so I don't necessarily have the EXE in the normal location.

What should happen when you open the shortcut is that Access opens, there is a pause while it decompiles, then your database opens as normal.

barny2006: I think it might have been removed, I searched by the phrase "Create new user" in the Access Modules (VBA coding) and even search by the person's handle (scriverb) and find nothing for what was originally titled "Adding/Deleting users through VBA" When I get time I will post the code here - it is quite lengthy.

JoeATWork I did check my path - my MSAccess.exe was in the same path as yours.

thanks Q
it appreciate that. i was just searching and searching and coming up with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back