Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anveo direct small tweak to improve inbound calls and potential one way voice problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueBall780

Technical User
Jul 3, 2009
CA
thread1361-1781029

Referencing a previous thread where I detailed settings for Anveo Direct.
Just a small tweak. Today anveo direct changed their IP and it exposed a weakness in my config.

The ITSP association method I chose kind of fell down. It relied on a DNS lookup which wasn't entirely reliable in this case so inbound calls started getting one way voice when the inbound calls no longer matched the pattern in the ITSP association method because the DNS lookups failed on the new IP. (probably working again after the DNS cache timed out and the new IP info resolved properly but we can do better)

So instead of matching on the DNS record I changed the ITSP association method to be "To header local domain match" and in the Basic-> SIP domain local field I put in the hostname or IP address that you use for your Anveo sip URI. In my case I created a hostname unique to this SIP account so I can match the inbound INVITE packet is from Anveo and not one of the other providers I setup.

Basically. Because we are using IP authentication instead of account registration your PBX just gets an unsolicited inbound SIP INVITE packet from the internet. The ITSP association method is how it figures out which SIP account this inbound call goes with since. You just need to match on any header that exists in the inbound request to distinguish between this provider and any others you setup. In my case I made the URI at anveo a hostname that resolves to the static IP and I put that unique hostname into the local sip domain field and then use the method "To header local domain match" so that the inbound call matches with my Anveo direct SIP account and not one of the others.

If it matches nothing it falls back to a generic non-ITSP set of settings which in my case means the local NAT compensation setting is not active so my side sends the internal IP instead of the public IP to Anveo as the RTP endpoint resulting in one way voice.

Anveo direct has really great CDR logs for each call available nearly instantly which helped me identify the issue right away when I saw the internal IP in the SDP section of the SIP session log. I have seems similar good logs on other providers but they often have a delay before the logs are available that makes troubleshooting these things much more annoying.
Good job Anveo on making the logs instantly available online for fast troubleshooting.

Now I'm probably nearly at the end of my Nortel BCM days. This system where I fixed the issue today is one of the last 2 I maintain and we are in the process of replacing it now with 3cx or FreePBX. (3cx is most likely unless we run into any last minute feature gaps during final testing)
The other system I maintain is much smaller and more or less runs a very traditional configuration with no SIP or IP sets so it's more or less set it and forget it type of typical legacy small business nortel site.

So just to recap the fix I made:
1. Setup a unique hostname pointing to the static IP of end users internet connection. Eg: anveoinbound.customerdomain.com
2. Set anveo trunk URI to point to this hostname in the anveo direct interace eg: [sip] $[E164]$@anveoinbound.customerdomain.com:5060
3. Set the hostname as the local in SIP Domain section of the basic tab of the accounts screen. anveoinbound.customerdomain.com
4. In the Advanced tab of Accounts screen I set ITSP association method to be "To header local domain match" so it takes the to header, and if it contains the local domain name it will match this account and not something else if you defined multiple SIP accounts/trunks using IP authentication in your BCM and it needs a way to figure out what one the inbound calls are for to use the right settings.

Note: If you just want to use your static IP you can certainly use that as your hostname and match to this as long as your other accounts (if you have others) do not conflict or match this contdition. If you only have the single SIP trunk for example there isn't much concern as long as you are matching something at all it's going to be fine.

dogsheadtilting_zhi3la.gif

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back