Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antivirus Solution 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
I've typically recommended Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition as a great solution for Server & Workstation since it was easy to use, deploy, manage, and it was solid.

However, my tune has changed and I've found that it's difficult to recommend at all anymore.

What are other people using? I need to find something I can utilize with my clients. Requirements:

- Stable and will run on NetWare
- Easy to deploy to workstations
- Centralized control via policy, etc
- Scalable - ie. Works for small environements as well as 1000+ seat environments.
- Does not hog resources (Like Mcafee does)

Thanks.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I wish I had a good answer for you. There are some great scanners out there (AVG for one) but they don't have the Enterprise components required in a corporate environment.

If you find something, please post back.

Take a look at NOD32,
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

as you say they all suck

i must confess i am a mcafee fan - but only in terms of management etc through eorchestra - and it is fine on pc but it is a hogger

sophos sucks

I tried Sophos about 2 years back (which is when I gave up on symantec alltogether) but was unimpressed and a little disappointed they hadn't fixed some big bugs in their enterprise area. However, their support was fantastic. I did consider McAfee, but for us, after symantec's large footprint on all the machines, we were really going for something that was less of a resource hog but still had ok detection rates.

I finally settled on Frisk's F-Prot Anti-Virus corporate edition. Much cheaper, small footprint and easy/basic enterprise control options. it's not super fancy, it's detection rates are pretty good (not "the best") and they're about to roll out their new version. I've been very happy with them so far and I hope their new version lives up to the hype.

I've used F-Prot on individual machines before and was pretty satisfied with it. I did not know they had anything other than a stand-alone product.

yeah, they've got corporate price bundles (which are great) as well as AV for servers. However (sorry marv) I just realized I don't think they support native netware anymore. But they do enthusiastically support Linux/BSD/Solaris---so I guess eventually if you move to the linux kernal with netware, it's supported (we scan our netware file server from a client).

for clients, like most packages out there you can set up quite a bit of remote control or be hands off (point to a single updater machine--or even less & have each client update on their own). A specific neat thing I like is an email report tool. If someone's scan finds something you can set it to email you a txt file report of what it found. but for us, the main thing was small resource hog w/out suffering a hit on detection rates.

I am currently using Panda antivirus. It has an administrative console and a netware app that we have running on 6.5. The admin console works great and deployment is a breeze. The client isn't as bad as some when it comes to resource hogging but I haven't found anything that works as well on the spyware.

I also have a network that runs sophos antivirus, a british company but even though it is also Netware compatible it's harder to deploy and doesn't work like Panda.

Thanks to all, I appreciate your input. I have contacted many of the vendors mentioned and am starting to evaluate the various solutions.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Let us know what you come up with (I can always use some free consultation [wink]).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back