Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AntiVirus programs: Promise/Pseudo-Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk2006

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
IN
AntiVirus developers mostly give stress on the following points to prove how reliable their product is and how it can be trusted for maximum protection. They also differentiate their product on these basis to prove effectiveness of their products.

Below I include my personal experience and want your technical advice on how to handle such situations:

(1) Pre-Install Virus Scan:
------------------------------
Most AntiVirus programs scan the system memory and operating system files before installing the program. This is a good idea but I found this feature useless in detecting most of the new trojans. Sometimes the "Heuristics" used by some well-known antivirus programs fail.

I noticed that the core application of any antivirus program, which comes in the bundled pack, was developed 4-5 months back and was using the virus database burned into it at that time.

On one of my client's machine, one antivirus program detected a worm and a trojan in memory after I installed it and updated its virus definition files.

(2) Using AntiVirus program's CD to Boot and scan:
-----------------------------------------------------------
The program CD of AntiVirus programs is a bootable CD. Once the computer is booted using this CD, you can scan your drive using the DOS version of the AntiVirus program in one of the directories of the CD.

While installing an AntiVirus program in one of my client's machine, which had an NTFS and a FAT 32 partition, the accompanying CD removed all the viruses from FAT32. But as the system was restarted again to load Window 2003 Server, the virus (W32.Parite.B) got loaded into memory and infected each and every programs that the operating system loaded from the FAT32 partition. This happened because the AntiVirus CD provided was able to scan DOS, FAT16 and FAT32 partitions only and since the NTFS partition remained invisible from DOS, it remained infected too.

(3) Microsoft AntiVirus Partner:
---------------------------------------
I don't know whether it is a marketing hype or a reality, but visit the following page and see the comment given my Microsoft at the end of the article. See the link below:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back