Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AntiVirus options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teser

Technical User
Mar 6, 2001
US
Please advise on how I can get my "warning message" to work when I open files on the web. My workstation goes right to download mode but I want it to give me a screen choice:
"What do you want to do with the file?"
"open it"
"save it to disk"

Mine goes right to "save downloaded file" mode and doesnt give me a choice.

I tried checking the Norton Antivirus options but cant seem to find what settings to adjust.

Hi,
The settings for what you want are located in the browser preference settings, not the antivirus programs, although it is ALWAYS a smart idea to scan the files you download before you open them. If you use Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options and click on the Security Settings tab. You can change settings through that. It's been years since I've used Netscape, so can't help you there...I'm sure there's others that can. Good luck!

Terry Robertson

teser,

Locate the extension under View>FolderOptions>File Types in Windows Explorer and make sure the "Confirm open after download" is checked.

reghakr

thanks,

I have a Netscape browser and can't seem to find any info on this in Netscape.
I will keep looking for a way to change it in Netscape.

Hello, teser.

On the menu bar, clickout Edit|Preference. Expand the Navigator > Applications.

The the window showing all the Application's Description, locate the file type you want the particular behavior you want to achieve.

For instance, acrobat, if you integrate the plug-in of acrobat view with the browser, you'll see this type of files will be Handled by Navigator and the Edit button greyed out. That means you can't do edit and you have to set the plug-in itself not to integrate with the browser.

For another instance, jpeg image, usually it indicates Handles by Netscape (internal). You can click on Edit button to change its behavior. If you change the radio bullet under "Handled by" to "Save it to disk" or "Application". If you choose "Application", you will see the checkbox is open-up for you to set its behavior "Ask me before opening...". In the Application window, you can still set it to be handled by Netscape itself. Only this time, you have to point the setting to the Netscape.exe etc.

The above illustrate how the thing is set modify its behavior.

Carefully experimenting a bit to make your change definitive.

Nevertheless, one has to be noted that the if you have download accelerator type application in use, download behavior can be overriden by the setting of the latter.

regards - tsuji

Thanks tsuji for the quick response and answer to my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back