Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antivirus need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

moro2003

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
Actualy running Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional and Zone Alarm.Beasides of fact that this program need a lot of resources seems that is not secure enough.
Yesterdy try PC Door Guard 3 and this one found 28 different viruses and trojans.Because used not registered version was unable to delete the treats.
Norton didn't inentify even one of them.
Please advice regarding Kasperski Personal is it more reliable then Norton or not.
If you have some other to raccomand please let me know.
Thanks in advance,

I had the same setup as you and got tired of Norton using so much resources. I'm now running AVG free version and notice my system running faster. AVG also has almost daily updates to it's virus database whereas with Norton I had to wait until Wednesday of each week. Kaspersky is supposed to be good but AVG is free and free is hard to beat.

There is an excellent free anti-virus program from I have used it for some time now and must say i am impressed, even scans incoming and outgoing email. There is a free version, I use, that is for those who do not use their computer for profit. Once on the site click programs then free version.

Try it its free!
xit

Virus Scanners are not equipped to catch Trojans or Worms, they are mainly interested in Viruses, as the name implies.

Often they include detection for the more common type of Worms or Trojans, but the detections of these other pests is better handled by an appropriate type of scanner.

This may show you the type of Security Products to look for in order to protect your System.

Some type of Firewall is imperative too.

Found this to be informative in explaining the differences between virus, trojans, and worms.

Thanks for advices.Uninstaled Norton and instaled Awast4.
After scening on my second boot- Win 98 SE ,found Worm Win 32:SQL Slammer in file D;\System Volume Information\_restore{DOF81FE4-D019-40B8-820266EA-6639\A0048692.exe\[UPX].
Awast was unable to repair or delete the worm.Try to find proper tool to fix it but only found sort of patch of abt 21,6 MB downloading now.I am uncertain if this patch will help- what I need is a proper tool if egzisting.
Please help me how to remove this worm.
Norton was unable to see this worm even after several scenings.

The virus is appearing only in a Restore Point, and is not affecting regular operations of the computer.
To clean restore points you can:

. Disable then re-enable system restore. This will flush all restore points; or,
. Use the Disk cleanup tool

@bcastner,
Thanks for reply.Meanwhile scan my PC with:
-Symantec AV
-Panda AV
-Trend Micro AV
-Symantec removal tool FixSQLex.exe
No one reported any kind of infection.
When scaned removal tool FixSQLex.exe with Awas4 ,immidiately received worning that file is infected with same worm as in partition D:
I am confused and uncertain what's realy going on, whether this Awast4 is foulty and with a bug, or all others scaners are useless.
Regarding your advice to re-enable System restore, I have it only on partition C:, so do you mean to re-enable this one and which disc clean up tool to use.
I am appologize , but count on your help as alwais since now.
Thanks once again,

@bcastner,
Sorted following your instructions,thanks a lot.
Repeat ,strange things happends when scaning removal tool FixSQLex.exe-
Awast4 warnings that file is infected with a/m virus.
Probaly this is a false alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back