Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-Virus Software Advice 98'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mans

Programmer
Mar 18, 2000
AU
Hello,

I am using Windows 98' stand alone. My Norton ant-virus program is due for renewal. Before I run it I update it each time and it has missed a number of viruses during scanning over many months.

I am therefore looking at getting another virus detection software that may be more efficient, can someone please advise of such a software product. Or, am I being too harsh on Norton.

Thank You

I like Nortons but I have heard a few people say that they don't, that it misses stuff.
I haven't been infected since I've had it. I think its a matter of preference.
My dad uses Kaspersky and he loves it.

I like PC-Cillin 2002. Seem does not hug resources too much. I also once used Norton 2001, though I still use its System Works.

I have to go with Norton's. I've had a few machines that don't like the program but they were loaded from a network install. After all updates are applied all worked very well.

Here is the important things to think about;

norton routes your email to their server to scan it,
whats to stop them from reading it ?

mcafee has some problems with mediator6pro,
so it may have problems with other apps...

I myself, only use name brand stuff as with hardware, monitors like SONY, NEC and so on...

another consideration is system resources !
this should be checked...who uses less ?

hope this helps...

"Hacker by Heart"
saenzcorp@hotpop.com

Personally test a wack of Antivirus software from
Thunder Byte, McAfee, Norton, and PC-Cillin 2000

i would highly recommend PC-Cillin 2000 or 2002
it is the best software out there i think, i even went as far as purchased their enterprise version called NeatSuite
which has ScanMail for my Exchange
Server Protect for my WinNT and 2000 Servers
and OfficeScan and so on

just go to you will like it, i only use the pop3 scan, and i tell you, it saved my butt everytime, and now ScanMail did the same for my work, worm had come in constantly lately and it trapped them all.

Good Luck

I would recomend Panda Antivirus. I'm sure that you probably have not heard of it before, but it works great. A couple of months ago it was written up in PCWorld Magazine or CNET.com (I can't remember). I was rated better than Norton, McAfee, and PC-Cillen. It has updates every day and is really easy to use.

I think you are reading out dated information
how can you compare Panda to PC-Cillin 6 ?
obviously you are only bases on your reading not actually using it bud

Quote "We focused on eight best-selling, well-known, or intriguing utilities: Command AntiVirus 4.57, Computer Associates' InoculateIT 4.5 Personal Edition, F-Secure Anti-Virus 5, McAfee VirusScan 4.04, Norman Virus Control 4.72, Panda Antivirus Platinum 6, Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2000, and Trend Micro's PC-cillin 6. "
from PCWorld.com

Go back and dig deeper
I am not saying Panda is not good, i am saying bases on my using as well as my friends (ISP) who actually were using others software and ends up refering PC-Cillin 2000 and 2002 to their Clients

I have used both of the antiviruses and I like Panda better. I think it runs much faster and you get better support. Also, there are always updates every day, and it updates automatically. You do not have to set it to when you are online.

I think Maverick is right about it depends on whats important to you. I think being user friendly is a big plus for me. I would highly recommend Norton 2002 for that reason. I also think it is great they scan incoming and outgoing mail.
That is where you are going to get most of your viruses. I have a friend that just got infected with the klez virus and she had McAfee. I tried Inoculate and it didn't work. I have Norton configured to scan once a week and update once a month. I'm not a fan of all Norton products (like their firewall I can't understand) but I love the antivirus.
There is my 2 cents just in case anyone was interested.

Cindy [2thumbsup]

I use SOPHOS AV on multiple platforms I fined that is fines virus that even norton doesn't and it doesn't slow your PC down or take over.

I would say that Norton is great for detecting viruses, but when it comes to cleaning, its crap. I've had about 4 viruses which it detected but couldn't clean.
Also, the option to send the infected file to Symantec is crap because they just send an email back telling you to download the latest definitions because they'll clean it when infact they don't.

I agree plus when Norton takes full control of your computer, it runs really crap, like running windows in a norton windows, the older version are even worst, any files are not recognized by Norton consider virus and causes other programs to crap out
more or less same as thunder byte

I'm running Panda. I have had no issues with the software. I did have a go-around with one of their tech support people, but that's another story.

I am completely satisfied with Panda - it is a great antivirus program, and that's it. It's not from a company that wants to sell me tons of other software. I have never noticed any system drain (i.e. I think the resources it uses are pretty light).

Hungster - Masterpjz9 didn't make up that quote. Panda (in the testing referred to by the quote) was the ONLY piece of software not to let a virus by.

HTH

mahasamatman

One day i will try Panda software
as for corp server package, Trend Micro still my first choice over all, best support so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back