Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-virus on mail/web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

usuallyconfused

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
GB
I have ADSL at home and a PC on a public IP address which acts as a web (Apache) and mail (Argosoft) server for a growing bunch of friends.

Up till now, the computer has been protected by an old corporate version of McAfee VirusScan (v4.5.1) with VShield and it seems to work very well, deleting any email that comes in with a virus.

However, without a 'corporate mail' system, the options are limited in terms of 'stripping' attachments and reporting. Ideally, I would need the email to be delivered but with a message saying a virus was removed.

Is using an anti-virus product in this way an acceptable way to monitor email viruses, or should I really be looking at something that integrates with my mail server? I know this is a rather open ended question, but viruses seem to have moved to a far more dangerous level over the last year and I need to protect mail at the server end, although of course I tell everyone to have av on their own PCs as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I use Computer Associates Etrust v.7

It works like a champ.. delete's (or whatever you want it to do) incoming or outgoing message's containting viruses, and tells you who it was addressed to, who it came from, what time, how big it was, the file name, the virus name, as well as the subject line..

All kinds of logging and alerts are available.. Email, syslog, system event log, and just about whatever you want again..

Plus, it's not that expensive! Also, once you get it installed and working properly, it practically takes care of itself.. Auto updates and installs are very convienent!

snoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back