Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-virus for Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc929

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2003
US
Hi All,

Many thanks in advance!

We just setup a new Exchange 2003 server and have another computer with email scaning program from Trend Micro. Every email will pass though this scanning program. In the new Exchange 2003, our consultant didn't install any virus program and he said that is enough for the email server.

I am wondering about it. We have symantec corporation edition anti-virus program. Do I have to install symantec program in the new server and buy another virus program for scan email?
Please advise!

Thanks again!

cc929

If you are a Symantec Antivirus CE Customer, You might be licensed for Symantec Mail Security for Exchange. I highly recommend that you look into this. It is important to have an AV scanner that works at the MAPI level.

Mike Fegan, MCSE

Read about the best FREE IT tools available, and check out the 'Babe of the Week' at

It sounds like you are using Trend Interscan on your mail gateway. Trend also have a product called Scanmail that is designed for Exchange Servers.

A layered approach is best for virus protection, and because virus threats can originate from within your organisation, protecting each Exhcange server is essential in my mind. Best practice would see you using a product from one vendor on your gateway server, and another vendor on your exchange servers. Therefore, you may want to consider the Symantec solution that Mike recommended, or any other Exchange level scanner, however this is usually more expensive as many vendors provide discounted licensing for complete 'suites'.

Ben Christian
MCSE, MCSA:Messaging

An additional word of advise, be sure to follow advised file and directory exclusions for real-time file scanning stated for your Antivirus and Exchange.

Just to emphasise what cajuntank stated - YES, exclusions are extremely important.

• In Exchange Server 2003, exclude:

• Exchsrvr\MDBData

• SRS

• In Exchange 2000 Server, exclude:

• Exchsrvr\MDBData

• SRS

Important: Do not scan the M: drive. File-level scanning of your M: drive can cause calendar items to disappear from users’ folders.

• In Exchange Server 5.5, exclude:

• Exchsrvr\MDBData

• DSAData

Mike Fegan, MCSE

Read about the best FREE IT tools available, and check out the 'Babe of the Week' at

Great advise beeing given in this thread.

I personally don't care for the Symantec product but that is just my opinion. I like the Trend Micro solutions, they are easy to configure and seem to work well.

Keep in mind that you will want to have two lines of protection at minimum. One AV program that is scanning the server itself. This is where you need to set all of those exclusions since the server AV doesn't understand the Exchange applications tasks and interprets the behavior as virus activity.

Second you want to have a good mail scanner that is Exchange aware and will fully integrate with Exchange to scan incoming and outgoing messages. Many of these such programs also incorporate or are bundled with SPAM software as well so you can kill two birds with one stone, however I have found I like the IMF built right in with Exchange.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I share your opninion on Symantec Mark, it's YUK!

Personally, I don't even want to run ANY AV on my Exchange Server. I scan BEFORE it gets there, and on user level, but not ever will I put an Anti-Virus on a server, also jusy my opinion.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Another good product for exchange is the Sophos Puremessage software for Exchange server. Sophos has always been on top of everything with their products and i would choose them over symantec or trend anyday.

Wm. Reynolds
RRWDS | TxPSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back